What happens if I offer to donate an item to the Migration Museum’s collection?
When the Museum receives an offer of an item for the collection, the offer is either accepted or refused by the Museum’s Acquisition Committee. The committee is made up of the Museum’s Director and its curatorial staff who may also refer to other specialists. The committee follows guidelines about what it will accept for the collection.
The Museum accepts an item into its collection if it is:
- Relevant to the purposes and stated aims of the Museum
- In good condition
- Accompanied by information about its history and significance
- Not a duplicate of an item already in the collection
- Legally owned by the person who is donating it
- Donated without any restrictions and encumbrances
- Able to be stored properly.