The buildings that now house the Migration Museum were once part of Adelaide’s Destitute Asylum. The Destitute Asylum operated from the early 1850s until 1918 and sheltered the homeless, sick and aged. We glimpse their stories from the little that is left. Before the Destitute Asylum the same site held a ‘Native School’ where Aboriginal children were boarded and educated by the colonial government.
After 1918 the Lying In Hospital and Mother's Ward buildings were used by the SA Government Chemistry Department until the late 1970s. The Migration Museum opened in 1986.
A new exhibition telling the story of the site will open in Autumn 2016.