Circular badge: printed paper between tin base and celluloid cover. Background of native trees, emu wearing a wreath with 'Australia' written on it. White rim: marked 'Strathalbyn' 'Red Cross Society, 1918'.
Made in 1918, possibly to be sold at the Trench Comforts Fund fete held at Strathalbyn in March of that year. Later acquired by a private collector, and donated to the Migration Museum in the 1980s.
The South Australian Red Cross was formed in August 1914, in response to the outbreak of the First World War (1914 – 1918). Since then, thousands of volunteers, mostly women, have given their time and skills to Red Cross programs, their efforts supported largely by public fundraising. Badge-making and selling were integral to these fundraising efforts.